Saturday, January 26, 2013

Writing original Stories

I have been writing my original stories and performing them for a number of years. Stories connect us to others. We share experiences through stories. I travel to schools and perform assemblies around my books. The children are receptive audiences as they delight in connecting with chickens, frogs, other farm animals and occasionally a pirate takes them on an adventure with a seafaring dog by the name of Toots.
The Barn at Spring Brook Farm exposes children to animals that are trained to work with people who may be sick or disabled. The person develops a relationship with one of the farm animals and then starts to walk or make progress through the relationship.
As a storyteller, I tell about the animals and how each is special in a unique way. I use puppets and a farmhand approach to connecting with the children. The performance is interactive and not only entertains but teaches about the special qualities of animals.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when we first met at The Barn at Spring Brook Farm - what? . . . six years ago now? I was enthralled with the book and your puppet show using the characters in that book and how beautifully you connected with the children and they with you. Keep writing these wonderful children's stories and performing them. You have a special gift, Maureen.

    ReplyDelete